Monday, May 29, 2017




Get Dressed




Often during my Bible reading, or listening to a sermon, a thought, a phrase, or a verse will jump out at me and start the wheels turning in my mind and make me dig deeper in the Word of God, searching for more light on the subject.

This weekend was one of those times. I heard the phrase “get dressed spiritually”, and I began to muse over this phrase and it's full meaning.

Every morning, as we wake up and begin our day, we give some thought as to what we are going to wear for the day. We think about what we'll be doing that day and it determines what clothes we'll wear. Is it a work day? Is it a church day? Is it a cold day? A hot day? Will we be getting dirty? Will we be sitting in an office? Will we be meeting with a friend for coffee? Our mind runs those scenarios over in our heads, and we plan accordingly.

But now to crunch time, and the point of my writing.

How often do we get up and “get dressed spiritually”? Do we rise every morning and plan what to wear spiritually? We read in Ephesians 6:10-17 about the clothes that God wants us to wear.

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:


The whole armour of God! God tells us what we are to wear spiritually. He gives us clear instructions.

We would never, even on our most brain dead days, get up to start our day, without stopping to get dressed. No! We put at least a little bit of effort into clothing ourselves.

Why then, do we neglect to clothe ourselves spiritually? Why do we think we can make it through the day spiritually naked!

Some people think they can get by with a spiritual clothing once a week. On Sunday, they soak up the Word, read and pray, then for the rest of the week, they get about without their armour (spiritual clothes) on. And yet, they take care to get dressed physically each and every day.

The Bible clearly tells us why it's important to be clothed with His armour. We will be able to “stand against the wiles of the devil”. We will “be able to withstand in the evil day”.

I don't know about you, but I feel like we're living in the 'evil day'. Unless you live under a rock (like my 12th grade geography teacher thought of me because we didn't have a television), or you are in denial about the wickedness in the world today, you too know that we live in evil days. All the more reason to put on God's armour.

The Bible also tells us in verse 16 that we'll be able to “quench all the fiery darts of the wicked”. I know I don't want to take on a fiery dart without some protection.

So often we're guilty of taking care of the physical and neglecting the spiritual. We need to be in God's Word, daily, continually, wholeheartedly, to be able to find the armour we need.

One of my sister's used to tell me in my teenage years, that it looked liked I'd rolled around in my drawer and got out (due to my wrinkled state). Well, it's not enough to 'roll around in the drawer' of God's Word, metaphorically speaking, and expect to come out with your armour on. You can't expect to be clothed right if all you do is read your Bible on Sunday, and maybe a little verse along with a nice story every other day.

As you dig deeper, God's Word comes alive. As you memorize scripture, God's Word, God's truth, is hidden in your heart and is there ready for the enemy's attack.

We need protection against the devil's tricks and manipulative methods. And only by mediating on God's Word and obeying God's Word, and living God's truth, are we going to be able to stand against the devil, prepared for the battle.

The Bible is full of promises that we can claim. We can trust in God's protection, but He expects us to clothes ourselves, with His help, and be ready.

So get serious and get dressed!


Psalms 28:7

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.


Psalms 84:11

For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.


No comments:

Post a Comment